Damn this swell!

by Glen

Monday 27 Apr, KY day 44: Re-asses departure plans, and looks like we should not hurry: no flights land home.

Really very uncomfortably hot today in virtually windless conditions. And the swell is coming around both corners now, meeting us in the middle with an annoying cross swell. It’s gentle but somehow Cloudy really manages to get her dance going in these virtually flat calm conditions. It is both odd and extremely annoying to be rocking 15 degrees each way on what looks like a flat sea. She rolled far less in the 1m swell we had 2 days ago!

It makes me go below and start some serious studying for our north bound passage to get out of here. I calculate it should be 4 days to central Florida, where we will attempt to check-in. Then 5 more days up to Herrington Harbour, just south of Annapolis. I make yet another call to CBP. It always amazes me that each time you call you get a different response on things. This time we are told not to come until we have read the restrictions on the CBP.gov web page. But search as I might, no restrictions are mentioned on that site. So I call again. Another agent tells me, no, the restrictions are only mentioned when you download the CBP ROAM app. So I go download it and the first window that pops up is a Covid alert telling you to call a CBP agent to be advised of any current restrictions! FFS ! 3rd agent sounds like he just came out of kindergarten. Which is good, because he has to get his supervisor, who instantly tells me that as we have B1 Visas we have no restrictions to enter USA. I guess I should have recorded this last conversation!

Next bit of research is to find out diesel prices as we would want to haul out with the tanks full. Duty free Cayman is $3.75 a gallon. Not bad I think. But then I find out the price in US is $2 a gallon! Only $2! Unheard of. And, if we fill up in Herrington, we get 20% off that. Jeez, that’s likely cheaper than water here in Most Caribbean islands!

We just start to get a little bit excited for going home when we decide to look what flights are actually happening across Europe. Getting to London from US doesn’t seem to be a problem. But when we investigate air traffic in and out of Bucharest airport there is literally none in the last 2 days. There’s no point in heading to Europe just to get stuck half way home. And there is really no point in leaving here to USA until we know for sure we can get to Bucharest. Needless to say, this leaves Oana a bit depressed. She’s at that point where home and family is really pulling at her emotions.

However, we get good news from the local government Covid briefing. No new positive test results out of 70 taken. This is quite a milestone. They even say the other 2 islands seem to be completely free of it so they may lift restrictions there. Maybe they will actually manage to contain this thing. They modeled their response on New Zealand’s and seem to be achieving similar results. Glad we came here…. if it wasn’t for the damned heat and swell we’d be even happier!

Due to Cloudy doing her rock’n’roll dance we decide not to take the dinghy out for templating today. So I make a start taking measurements while it’s on the davits. It’s going to be quite a job. On just one side tube, there are no less than 15 holes needed for the various handles and fittings to poke out of. In the evening I start marking out and cutting out the template, using some of the heat-shrink plastic we had left over from the fender blankets.

By 9pm we’ve completely had enough of the heat, and now the mosquitoes too. So we run the generator and have the air conditioning running for an hour to cool us down. Oh what luxury! Just a shame we have to turn it off at bed time. The AC only manages to knock 1 or 2degC off the temperature but what it does best is to remove the humidity. Dry air always feels so much cooler than sticky air.
So with a cooler and bug free boat we go to bed, and hopefully asleep before it warms up again! Good news is Cloudy’s rocking is better too. Anyway, tomorrow we will get a short break from it as it’s our designated shopping day. Wahoo!

You may also like

4 comments

Serban May 2, 2020 - 8:09 am

So it’s up to you to keep her spirit up, Glen. You know Oana best, so so you should know the way to how. Out there, she only has you. Oana should know that in Bucharest things are reasonably normal, and she will find everybody doing well when she comes. Things will return to a full normal in a short while. Happy Madamme, happy Captain!
I was wondering whee exactly you were, and how you are dealing with the lockdown. Again, you should know you are the fortunate Oanes (!). I know of many other liveaboards who are locked at anchor, in marinas, unable to almost set foot on the dock. Take full advantage!
Big hugs.

Serban

Reply
Glen May 3, 2020 - 11:33 pm

Thanks Serban, we are currently very safe in Cayman.

Reply
Serban May 2, 2020 - 8:57 am

So it’s up to you to keep her spirit up, Glen. You know Oana best, so you should know best the way to how. Out there, she only has you. Oana should know that in Bucharest things are reasonably normal, and she will find everybody doing well when she comes. Things will return to a full normal in a short while. Happy Madamme, happy Captain!
I was wondering where exactly were you, and how are you dealing with the lockdown. Again, you should know you are the fortunate Oanes (!). I know of many other liveaboards who are locked at anchor, in marinas, unable to almost set foot on the dock. Take full advantage!
Big hugs.

Serban

Reply
Anatomia Człowieka August 23, 2021 - 11:31 pm

Cool post very informative I just found your blog and read through a few posts although this is my first comment, ill be including it in my favorites and visit again for sure

Reply

Leave a Comment